Tuesday, August 12, 2008

August 12 - Idea...Thoughts?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, right back to normal we go!!! Back to effective breakeven in poker again this month. This has me questioning some things. Not really my play nor play-style (I do very heavy analysis on that after every session, and have really only found one minor weakness that is currently getting fixed up), but just my overall decision to keep doing what I'm doing. I think I'm going to follow the path of a few other very solid players and grind down at 50NL for a little bit of time.

At 100NL I've dropped my WR down to 1.4pt/100 (~250K hands). Not that I find this number unacceptable or anything (I mean hell, I realize its a + number, and that automatically makes me top 35% of poker players), I just don't find I'm maximizing my time playing poker. After talking with some people about the current level of 50NL, I'm thinking I can beat that level for 3.5-6pt/100 (which is a higher hourly).

My thoughts right now are to grind out 50NL for some of the weekday sessions, and really grind out 100NL during solid happy-hours and weekends. I'm also considering getting some table selection aides to help me hyper focus on table selection. My current table selection methods include # of shortstacks, # of solid regs, and overall table flow/position. I think with the use of TableTracker or maybe Telescope, that I can up my pt/100 a lil bit (an every lil bit helps).

I don't know...anyone wanna talk me out of this?

Hand:

(I wonder if this has anything to do with my WR dropping??)

Full Tilt Poker Game #7614338011: Table Camden Rose - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:53:57 ET - 2008/08/12
Seat 1: MClark79 ($122.95), is sitting out
Seat 2: supermanthat ($86.95)
Seat 3: shooter6926 ($100)
Seat 4: Blakester143 ($157)
Seat 5: vagabond07 ($67.80)
Seat 6: nttflox ($20)
Seat 7: bwals ($116.45)
Seat 8: Its RIGGIGGITY ($100)
Seat 9: reDZill4r ($114.75)
vagabond07 posts the small blind of $0.50
nttflox posts the big blind of $1
shooter6926 posts $1
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Its RIGGIGGITY [Ac Ad]
bwals has 15 seconds left to act
bwals folds
Its RIGGIGGITY raises to $5
reDZill4r folds
supermanthat calls $5
shooter6926 folds
Blakester143 folds
vagabond07 folds
nttflox folds
*** FLOP *** [5c As 2h]
Its RIGGIGGITY bets $6.50
supermanthat calls $6.50
*** TURN *** [5c As 2h] [5s]
Its RIGGIGGITY checks
supermanthat bets $12
Its RIGGIGGITY raises to $31
supermanthat calls $19
*** RIVER *** [5c As 2h 5s] [4c]
Its RIGGIGGITY bets $45
supermanthat calls $44.45, and is all in
Uncalled bet of $0.55 returned to Its RIGGIGGITY
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Its RIGGIGGITY shows [Ac Ad] a full house, Aces full of Fives
supermanthat shows [5d 5h] four of a kind, Fives
supermanthat wins the pot ($173.40) with four of a kind, Fives

*SS*

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The hand is definitely a cooler, but I probably lead the turn again and expected to get paid by any Ax hand. The lead flop c/r turn line might allow him to lay down AK or AQ.

As for moving down, it'll certainly do wonders for your confidence (not that I think you're suffering in that department), and it'll definitely increase your hourly. I would, however, take a look at how much you're losing in RB (I assume you're still playing FTP?) just to weigh everything out.

SplitSuit said...

thnx Joaquin.

given my style lately, i find that ppl like to bet at me on turns given my small CB size. i figured more value in lettin him stab here with 77 than have him fold to a double barrel. plus, the sizing was pretty nice to get him committed twice w/o him really realizing it.

RB would cut down from $12 to $7 per hour. (which is ~.6pt/100...so good point)...hmmm

*SS*

Damn Ringer said...

personally i've dropped down to 200nl for a little bit. I'm playing and adjusting my style to be a serious winner at 2/4nl. I was a slight winner like you are at .5/1 but my hourly rate is higher at 200nl than at 400nl which is not good.

Dropping down is a great thing. Just remember you don't have to play the limit you are rolled for. Just play where you are comfortable, and money will come.

SplitSuit said...

Damn Ringer...thnx

here are some thoughts im having. 1.) im very cool moving thru the levels, both up and down. 2.) the big difference in ur example is that u moved from 400 to 200. the levels between 50 an 100 get mucky with image. by this i mean ppl dont respect 50nl grinders as much as they begin to respect 100nl grinders. i think this would effect my coaching in a very negative way. not with students i have now, but with students in the future. of course u can look at it as tho "as a coach i preach moving up and down, and look, i can follow my own example!"...but it most likely would b looked at like "why the hell would i take coaching from a 50nl grinder?"

i dunno...theres a lot that goes into this. altho i dont plan on making this move my home by any stretch, there are a lot of side variable that come along with it when coaching comes into play.

this whole thing is very frustrating knowing that I'm a very sound player (i have lots of ppl that would back me on that)...and the majority of my WR is caused by coolers and such (cuz think about it, for every badside cooler u get, thats ~2BI that should b back in ur account)

thoughts?

(also, i feel silly havin an 80BI roll online =P )

*SS*

Anonymous said...

I had some problems with game selection for awhile... I was using VPIP, Avg Pot size, a buddy list, etc.. What has worked well for me is simply looking for tables that don't have regs. If I can find a 6-max table with 0 or 1 regs, it's usually a really soft table.. For the most part, if I don't recognize a name, they aren't a reg being as I'm averaging about 3K hands a day.

And after 3 or 4 orbits, I can have a pretty good idea of where everyones at - then I'm contstantly leaving bad tables for new ones and cycling until I have 4-6 good tables.

Anthony said...

Hand is a cooler obv.

I love my spadeeye.

I do the following routine every 3 minutes (which is how long I have spadeeye set to cycle):

1. Join the list on every table that spadeeye filters as having a 40+VPIP WITH a 80BB stack or more (of course this is 6m)...

2. Before acting on every hand I check and make sure that the fish is still there and sitting in, that he has at least 50bb, and that he is not in the SB or BB when I am on the button.

3. If any part of #2 is off, then I sit out at my next BB and drop the table. Sometimes I will drop a table with a one fish for a table with 2 fish obv.

4. I play in a TON of pots with the fish. Play in FEW pots with the regulars.

5. Every 3 minutes I am wishing I you could review a hand for me :)

Anonymous said...

-How many tables do you play?
-Normal stats?

imo easy turn fold

SplitSuit said...

was 16 tables at 12/7

now 12 at 14/10

yes...i agree.