Thursday, August 14, 2008

August 14 - Happiness

Lots of stuff I want to talk about right now...

1.) I got my first horse!!! “I vi ii V7” has officially been staked by me. We're going to be very aggro with the bankroll and hopefully get him to 100nl by Christmas (starting him at 25nl). Kid is very solid, and I'm very excited about this investment (as is he).

2.) I dislike FTP!!! 3 checks bounce, now 5 (leaning towards 6) days without approval on CashPickup. Then on top of that, I check the Zoo...and apparently CashPickup might be fading out. There is no check option for me, and nothing else. So effectively my money doesn't actually belong to me!!! (exaggeration I hope)

3.) I don't like this year very much. That is all.

4.) I got my resume in motion yesterday. Hopefully I can get some phone interviews and have everything ready for the my first week or two in Vegas. I'm looking at marketing (entry level) in Vegas, preferably in the gaming sector, but I'm open for everything. Anyone have a connection they wouldn't mind exhausting? =)

5.) The benefit for my brother who passed last year is on Friday. I'm very stressed about it because it's slightly emotional, but isn't meant to be. Anyone that has been in this situation before knows the fear of the “so...how are 'you' doing?” conversation that is guaranteed to happen about 90,000 times. We are also having a silent auction, and I was considering offering 2-3 hours of coaching for 2 people as a bidding item. However, I decided against this because people in this town (and well, 99% of towns for that matter) wouldn't have the slightest clue for the value on that, nor would there be much interest most likely. But who knows, my poker coaching always comes up at these kinds of functions...so maybe I can score some new 40 year old students.

6.) Happiness. I've been very pissy-pants the last few days...a lot of it stemming from poker stuff (feeling like I'm running uphill constantly). I was reading 2p2 a few minutes ago and came across this gem:

“I'm one of the happiest people I know because I choose to be happy. Happiness is a choice. Every man who has ever walked this earth has faced similar problems in life. I read somewhere that all of life's problems can be related to your health, wealth and relationships and I have yet to come up with a problem that lies outside of these parameters. The difference between a happy person and a depressed person is that a happy person realizes what he does have, and views his problems as challenges. Instead of focusing on how bad he has it because of his problems, he chooses to focus on solutions to his problems, and grows from overcoming those problems. In time, he will develop new problems, but a happy person welcomes those new challenges because they present him more opportunity for growth. If you ain't growing, you're dead.” - JohnnyBeef

I am going to read this every single day for the rest of the year. I think my mindset has begun to slip from taking losses as challenges, and thus results in me being more upset about them. Hopefully by focusing on being happy and interpreting losses/issues as challenges to overcome, I will be able to get my psychology back on track.

Thats enough rambling for tonight. A hand!:

Full Tilt Poker Game #7624659770: Table Dancing Leaf - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:10:32 ET - 2008/08/12
Seat 1: DelhiCamels ($52.80), is sitting out
Seat 2: Nelli999 ($10)
Seat 3: Its RIGGIGGITY ($59.70)
Seat 4: azarf ($27.60)
Seat 5: MasterTCX21 ($39.25)
Seat 6: macman247 ($51.05)
Seat 7: NewStarIsBorn ($59.05)
Seat 8: thekid64 ($50)
Seat 9: olsenjun ($10.75)
azarf posts the small blind of $0.25
MasterTCX21 posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Its RIGGIGGITY [Ks Kh]
macman247 calls $0.50
NewStarIsBorn folds
thekid64 folds
olsenjun folds
Nelli999 folds
Its RIGGIGGITY raises to $2.50
azarf folds
MasterTCX21 calls $2
macman247 calls $2
*** FLOP *** [4d Js Kc]
MasterTCX21 checks
macman247 checks
Its RIGGIGGITY bets $3.50
MasterTCX21 calls $3.50
macman247 calls $3.50
*** TURN *** [4d Js Kc] [7d]
MasterTCX21 checks
macman247 checks
Its RIGGIGGITY bets $13.25
MasterTCX21 folds
macman247 calls $13.25
*** RIVER *** [4d Js Kc 7d] [Tc]
macman247 checks
Its RIGGIGGITY bets $32
macman247 calls $31.80, and is all in
Uncalled bet of $0.20 returned to Its RIGGIGGITY
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Its RIGGIGGITY shows [Ks Kh] three of a kind, Kings
macman247 shows [Qd Ad] a straight, Ace high
macman247 wins the pot ($105.35) with a straight, Ace high

*SS*

4 comments:

clutch227 said...

Split, I know you better than almost anyone, and I can't believe you like this quote. You are one of the most logical people I know, and some of the statements made here are lacking in that department. Poster says happiness is a choice, but what about all the scientific research showing chemical imbalances in the brain that make it physically impossible to be happy? He then says, "Every man who has ever walked this earth has faced similar problems in life." That is not true. Everyone has problems, but many times they are not comparable. For example, none of us can name anything in our lives that is as bad as some of the atrocities that some people in Zimbabwe, Sudan, and other countries face every day.

I agree with the message that focusing on the good stuff is a great philosophy. But happiness is not a choice, the same way anger isn't a choice.

SplitSuit said...

i like the overall premise of the quote...

obvi not everyone can choose happiness (like you said, chemical imbalances and such)...but i think a healthy person can make choice to interpret things in a healthier manner. this quote really talks about the interpretation involved in happiness, and how winners interpret issues/losses as challenges to be overcome. i like that part, and really think ive been sliding into letting issues/losses drag me down a bit.

i 100% agree with differences in problems ppl encounter (obvi not everyone is in the same boat here...thats nowhere near logical to think). i just assumed it to mean that everyone who lives will encounter issues (which is a given).

do u really think anger (an im talking about angry feelings over a period of time, not just the "snap-angry" feeling) isnt a choice in a healthy person?

Unknown said...

1) That dude is really solid and I'm excited for the both of you!!

2) FTP is riggiggity...you know this...MAN!

3) lol yearaments

4) Good stuff! I don't have any connections, though. :(

5) I hate that question and know what it's like...my heart goes out to you, bro.

6) Kinda gushy, but I identify with the notion that we are in control of how we choose to perceive the things around us. While I don't think everyone has faced the same kinds of stresses, it's true that we've all faced hardships and have more control over whether or not we let those hardships consume us than we think we do (awkward sentence, fo sho!).

The hand!

You know I love you and have immense respect for your game, but wtf is this flop bet? It looks like the pot is $7.50, you have top set. If the villains were both super nitty I could see betting this much (maybe checking), but I don't think that's the read you have. I'd make it 5 on the flop, and more if they were both donkeys.

You get 2 calls on the turn, and it looks like the pot's $18. I like this turn bet much better. :) River shove is fine, obv. This guy sucks. Note: I just like commenting here because it helps my thought process. :) GL bro! RUN BETTER, PLZ!!

SplitSuit said...

Joaquin:

ive been 50%-65% PSBing for about 3 months now. its improved my game quite a bit (the success rate on my CBing has gone up, and my CBfreq has also gone up. i would venture that this has increased my theoretical WR quite a bit), and urll notice that even with it, im still able to manipulate getting stacks inward.

i think a hand i posted previously u didnt like my flop bet, but again, it was very small. it really just comes down to an economic principle: minimizing loss is the same as maximizing value. there are def pros and cons to this style...so ur overall play style has to work well with it (which i think mine does).