Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 16 - Downswings Are Not Fun

I really need to snap out of this downswing. The variance is really starting to kill me. Every month I encounter at least 2 different 7BI downswings, so I'm very used to downswinging on a regular basis (aka, regular variance). But lately I've been encountering 10-15BI downswings more regularly. Of course, there are the 10-20BI upswings, so I'm making money overall...but I really cannot understand why I'm running like this. I play a very low variance style, I hand read well, and yet people that play 35+% of their hands just hit the most insane stuff. They either have KK+ when they shouldn't, they overset me, they snipe some crazy draw, or they 5 out me. Couple this with the times I'm on the bad side of setups (KK < AA, set < set, set < flush, AA < KK), and I'm hating this month quite a bit.

I took tonight off in an effort to regain a lil confidence. I'm very confident in general, especially about my game, but the last few months have been pushing my edge a little bit. I do feel better in that I'm aware of a few very respected players that have had 200K-400K break even patches, and that I'm only at around 175K of small WR (~.8ptbb/100). I know most people would consider this a decent WR, but I really do expect 1.4-2.5ptbb/100. So I'm just gonna keep my head up, keep chugging, and wait till my WR regresses to the mean.

Other than poker stuff, I got back together with my GF. I think living apart for a bit will be very healthy for us (she moved back in with her parents). She is working very hard to get healthy again, and I'm working very hard at being more open and emotional in the relationship. I think if we couple these things together that we will be very well off. I'm a little nervous about Vegas (I leave early Sept. (right after Labor Day)), but I'm focusing on baby steps right now.

So other than my silly downswing, life is OK. Have barely started on any of my goals for the week, but I still have 5 days left =). Did a little bit of Wii Fit today, and feel much better after doing some Yoga (and seriously, I never thought I'd see the day where I did Yoga). It's just very hard to run when it's 95 degrees outside, and 20 minutes of running might make me pass out. Hopefully the weather will cool down a bit, otherwise I'll just start treadmilling (which I really do hate to do, feels so odd).

Thought: with the recent split in forums on 2p2 (splitting the 400+ game) I've realized that I'm very against the elitist attitudes. I will not name names, but there are quite a few people that think because they have $XX, or do this/that, that they are better than other people. An not only do they have that thought, they flaunt it as though it's a respectable quality. Insulting, demeaning, or criticizing people for anything, especially something they are truly working toward, is just rude and really immature. However, I do understand that most of 2p2 is 16-24yr old males, so obviously the 'e-peen' waving an frat brother crap will always be present. I am asking that if people feel I'm being elitist in anyway to please tell me. This is a quality I have no interest in displaying, intentionally or otherwise. Thanks!

I was going through comments the other day and realized I said I would post a picture of Kingjamen. So here are 2 of them...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

(don't worry, I never actually started the machine =) )

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

(like the first week we got him...he was so small back then)

and as usual, a hand:

Full Tilt Poker Game #7065635230: Table Piedmont - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:47:37 ET - 2008/07/03
Seat 1: davenigma ($105.90)
Seat 2: WatchingF1 ($42.50)
Seat 3: GOLDDUST-47 ($40), is sitting out
Seat 4: g2005 ($88)
Seat 5: VVarrenI3uffett ($97.80)
Seat 6: Kardonoff ($100)
Seat 7: laserfocus ($44.90)
Seat 8: Its RIGGIGGITY ($138.45)
Seat 9: i9nite ($100)
davenigma posts the small blind of $0.50
WatchingF1 posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Its RIGGIGGITY [9h 9d]
g2005 folds
VVarrenI3uffett raises to $3
laserfocus folds
Its RIGGIGGITY calls $3
i9nite folds
davenigma raises to $11
WatchingF1 folds
VVarrenI3uffett folds
Its RIGGIGGITY calls $8
*** FLOP *** [Qh 3c 2s]
davenigma has 15 seconds left to act
davenigma bets $9
Its RIGGIGGITY calls $9
*** TURN *** [Qh 3c 2s] [9s]
davenigma has 15 seconds left to act
davenigma bets $29
Its RIGGIGGITY raises to $58
davenigma raises to $85.90, and is all in
Its RIGGIGGITY calls $27.90
davenigma shows [Qc Qs]
Its RIGGIGGITY shows [9h 9d]
*** RIVER *** [Qh 3c 2s 9s] [Tc]
davenigma shows three of a kind, Queens
Its RIGGIGGITY shows three of a kind, Nines
davenigma wins the pot ($212.80) with three of a kind, Queens

*SS*

7 comments:

clutch227 said...

I agree with you about the elitist thing. How often do you see people get into "my dick is bigger than yours" contests in the chat bar? I see it a lot. No matter what you do, there is always someone better than you at it (and even if there isn't there will be someday). A lot of people on 2P2 should remember that.

Goldseraph said...

The variance can definitely suck man, I find that taking a few days off helps a lot with the swongs, you can stop realizing how leaky your game has become, or how you're letting the losing affect your play. I sometimes start playing worse, or I will grind even when I'm tired, trying to 'put in the hands to outrace variance'. I think quality play is always best though, free of fatigue or frustration.

enigmatic said...

i played that hand well. Did I really look like scared KK on that flop? Play safe, don't tilt - I don't need your roll that bad
daven

SplitSuit said...

huh? i never said you played it baddly.

yea, u looked like a really oddly played AA/KK. obviously you woke up with the only hand that beat me, but as is the way i run recently. nh none the less.

*SS*

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's so strange to me that one of the best and most interesting midstakes/high players on the 2+2 FR forums does nothing but post a shitload of insulting, sarcastic, and intentionally misinformational posts.

I think it has really hurt the FR forums the last few months. I think the split is good because there is so much less of that now in the 100-200 forum.

SplitSuit said...

are u talking about me personally, or some of the mid/high players in general? (i only ask cuz i dont think i make a "shitload of insulting, sarcastic, and intentionally misinformational posts" =) ).

i agree the split is best for now. hopefully it'll create a better hand posting atmosphere for 100-200nl players.

Anonymous said...

No, I was talking about Kelistaan.