Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February 10 - In Florida!

So I just got into Florida today. Was a nice and easy 2.5hr plane ride and went pretty damn quick. I sat next to a big dude that took up the entire arm rest, and if I didn't know any better, I might have guessed that he would have reached across my lap to put his fat ass arm on my OTHER armrest. And there were some crying children on the flight, but that's why God created noise-canceling headphones.

I also got some reading done. Got about 50 pages read of the book I just started on the teaching gap. Very interesting book about the differences in teaching with a heavy focus on the USA v Japan v Germany. There are some very odd things that I would never imaged to true...such as a high end testing school in the USA tends to score lower than the lower sections of Japanese schools. Also, Japanese schools tend to have almost 150% more students/class than a US school.

I am learning quite a few interesting techniques I can add to my own coaching through reading this book. One thing that stood out is that in Japanese schools it is common for the lessons to focus on complex problem solving and the teacher acts as a mediator between the students and the information. In Germany, teachers tend to dole out the information from a powerful and authoritative perch. And in the US, teachers tend to focus on the relationship with the students, while seemingly forgetting about the information. Also, in the US, the teachers tend to focus on teaching the answers and not so much the process...which is why I believe Americans tend to lack a lot of logic...because we have been taught to focus only on answers and memorization rather than learning WHY something is.

Enough of that, as I could easily go on for hours. Over the weekend I met up with ForGlory from 2p2. We grabbed a bite at Quincy Market and talked poker mostly. Nice kid, and since he sent “hello's” to me from others, I owe a “hello” to NotOnTilt and Kflip. Was nice to get downtown again, though I still don't enjoy Boston by any stretch. But I'm thinking we'll do lunch or something again, so if anyone else is in the Boston area and wants to join, just give me a HU....and same rules apply as I gave to ForGlory...no candy and no white vans =)

Hope all is well with everyone. I'm going to grab a few hours of sleep before getting up to start prepping the house for the party over the weekend. My grandma turns 80 this week, so the family is coming in for the party...and because I'm here early I get to help setup. But way worth it for the warm weather + family time!

*SS*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I was on a jet blue flight next to this dude who was so fat that his love handles literally rolled over my armrest. For a moment when I sat down I panicked because jet blue has the TV controls on the armrest and I was sure as hell gonna watch some tube during the flight. Luckily the controls for my TV were on the other side. I was completely disgusted but then I realized he had one clear advantage over me. You see, I can never sleep sitting up - on planes, in cars, etc. It's a curse. This was a red eye flight and the fat dude nodded off, but he was so fat his head didn't even droop forward - his blubber supported it. He looked comfy. Even those stupid neck pillow things don't help me.

PS I could deliver a healthy rant about education too. Way too little emphasis on teaching kids *how* to fish rather than memorizing types of fish just long enough to pass a test. This is going to become more and more problem.