Saturday, September 20, 2008

September 20 - Session at the Venetian

So I ended up taking a live stake...which I think is definitely the best decision I can make choosing to play live right now. I'm still a little light off-line, and this is helping me get a shot in games I couldn't play comfortably for a couple of months. Live is silly because your hourly is lower, but capital necessary to be in a game is greater. So to comfortably play 5/10NL live you would need a 30K bankroll for a solid hourly of $150/hr (7.5pt/100). Whereas you can make $150/hr (2.5pt/100) playing 12 tables of 400NL with a $15K bankroll. I know that my time can be better spent grinding online, but I like the mix-up of live play, so I'll sacrifice a little opportunity cost for added utility.

I ended up getting a $2K stake (I believe possibility of infusion, but I'm not 100% certain) for 1/2nl games. It's only a 10BI stake for the level I'm playing at, but I'm confident I shouldn't have an issue grinding it out. Did a session tonight at the Venetian for like 3.5hrs which felt really good. Ended up ~2BI...which was a nice start to the stake. It took me like an hour to acclimated to how live play works though because I haven't played it in almost 5 months.

For instance, I had to get used to listening to people make up the most absurd stories about their lives, people they know, money, or anything they could possibly exaggerate to false-inform people of their bravado (because I apparently will like them more if I think they know X, Y, or Z). Also had to get used to people “Hollywooding” again. Seriously though...you are at a 1/2nl game...quit wasting time with your deep sighs and checking your cards 90 times. O well...I'll get used to it.

Other than live play I tried to pump out my video for Stox today. I didn't realize how badly Camtasia sucks at audio narration and such...and probably spent about 4 hours trying to figure out how to use the horrible software. Finally quit it, and decided I will just use Camtasia for the video part, and then use ACID6 for the audio narration. I have a sweat session tomorrow for the mirco forum, and will pump out the video after that. I'm expecting to spend probably 4 hours on it to “perfect” the quality (goal: minimal “ummm's”)...which would bring the total hours spent on this video to about 14. I'm hoping people really enjoy this series on fullring NLHE and take something out of it =)

Now, because I'm fresh off a live session, tonight's hand will be a live hand.

Villian = New, but doesn't seem to be very smart. Probably 19/4 over 20
Aggroface = aggro with weak hands, passive with strong ones. Probably 22/14 over 60

Preflop action is littered with limping and folding. Aggroface checks the BB, and Villian is in the CO.

Flop comes 886r. Aggroface leads for $15 into $9 (very LOL, very standard). Folds to Villian who calls only.

Turn is a T and it checks through.

River is a T (rainbow), and Aggroface fires $35. Villian quickly calls and tables J6 very proudly while saying (and of course, pointing at the 6) “Pair of 6's!!”. Aggroface open mucks 45o. No one corrected Villian...

*SS*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the play in live cash games as bad as everyone makes out? I've never played cash live but have read loads of threads on forums that liken $5/$10 to NL25 online.

SplitSuit said...

yea. I've only played at TS in NY, and now the V in Vegas, but live play is always going to be worse. but just because the game is worse, doesn't mean u can obtain the same hourly as online

*SS*