Monday, April 20, 2009

April 20 - St. John thus far...

So in my effort to be a better blogger, I decided I would write up a quick post about vacation thus far. Got to the airport at 3:45a the other day. Waited until 4a for the ticket place to open up, then waited 30min for them to finally find my reservation. Got through security around 4:40a and then waited till 6a for my flight. Slept for the hour it took to get to DC, grabbed a quick bite, and then boarded my plane to Charlotte. Slept the 1.5h hours to get there. Waited another 1.5hrs for my flight to St. Thomas, and slept the 2 hour sleep. Sleeping through flights is awesome!

Got to St. Thomas and waited about an hour for my taxi to take me to the boat to take me to St. John. They dropped us off at the boat dock which had a bar so I grabbed a few beers before getting on the St. John boat. I'm pretty sure that I am an idiot as I broke the seal right before I jumped on the 45 minute boat ride and regretted that very much. I waddled as fast as I could off the boat and had never felt so relieved. And as soon as I was done with that I was finally able to see the awesome view that is this place. It really is something else.

Woke up early today and took a taxi down to the beach. It's pretty cool, they cut the back off of a truck and install seats and a roof. I forget the word they use for them, but they are an adventure by themselves. So drove through downtown St. John (quite a slummy place imo), around a whole bunch of hills, past some awesome views, and then finally got the beach. You know the Corona commercials with the really blue water that is see-through? Yea, that was this. Fucking gorgeous.

So swam most of the day, got a nice sun tan, and did some snorkeling. I had never snorkeled before and it was a pretty cool experience. Ended up seeing a ton of fish, got stung by baby jellyfish (which burned like hell, but at least it wasn't a big jellyfish), and saw a huge ass turtle. Did the beach until about 3p, then went down to “Woody's” (apparently a very well known restaurant) and grabbed some beer and lunch ($1 beer FTW). Got back home, and just relaxed for the rest of the day with my younger cousins (8 and 4). Took some pictures around the day that I will attach for your enjoyment. I'm waking up insanely early tomorrow (6:30a) for some boating and more snorkeling...so off to bed I go.


Hope all is well with everyone!

(also, random side note...I ordered flowers for my friend so they would be there when she finished her marathon (she ran the Boston today). I woke up to a phone call from the flower place telling me they can't deliver them because of the marathon. The woman on the phone didn't see to understand why that might be ironic)



*SS*

No comments: